Monday, October 4, 2010

The Way God Wires Us: Religious Life & Chastity

Recently I have raised a few eyebrows amongst my acquaintances about my commitment to chastity. Now by chastity I mean no sexual relations, therefore making way to deeper intimacy with God. This by no means raises the assertion that people who have active sex lives can not attain to the same intimacy with God, in their own way.
See I have discovered through experience that the way God has wired (or made) me, for me to achieve maximum fulfillment in life, it is necessary to live chastely.
This is in some ways and at particular times, a crucifixion of sorts. As I have no doubts marriage and family can also be! However, overall the results for me are far beyond my ability to describe.
Recently I was watching a documentary about Queen Elizabeth II, where she was followed by a video camera on her daily routine. She shares about her duty as queen, how her job never ends, how she was born into it and how difficult it can be.
Her life was no longer hers, she says, it belonged to the Kingdom.
Sounded a lot like the vows a monastic, priest, bride or groom make.
Elizabeth really enjoys what she does, it was self evident in the care she took reading letters, the careful way she did her own ironing before dressing for a ball, but most of all it was in her smile. I think Elizabeth was wired for the type of life in which she lives.
Chastity has become out of vogue, deemed unnecessary and overboard in modern society.
I can not feel this farther from the truth, if not the opposite.
For those who God makes for this purpose, it is the only path to maximum potential and ultimate fulfillment.
So what type of person is wired for such a life? Well it is usually someone who is drawn to contemplation, has an unquenchable thirst for 24/7 prayer, loves people and wants to be useful to them and bring them closer to God. This type of person never tires of God, religion, spirituality, discourse, serving God and others and spending time alone with God, who is their intimate partner.
Ww all have different gifts, someone like myself in a marriage, although I would have moments of happiness and bliss, overall it would not be fulfilling for me, less fuifilling for my spouse and often dysfunctional.
People like myself need your prayers, understanding and support, this path is not easy and comes with it's own unique set of challenges.

No comments:

Post a Comment