Monday, April 5, 2010

The Road To Emmaus

Here Cleopas and Luke (St John Damascus implies is the other person who wasn't named) are on the way to Emmaus and are chatting about what had taken place over the past three days. What sadness they must have been shrouded in, much less doubt. Jesus appears on the road the road, restraining their eyesight intentionally to expose their doubt and cure it by means of the Old Testament prophesies. He didn't just give it to them and make it easy, He instead pointed to the answer. Ultimately leaving it to them to figure out. And so they did, they realized it, their eyes were opened and their "aha" moment arrived when He broke bread with them. Whenever we are left to figure out something for ourselves I think it penetrates more deeply and takes root. The parables were designed to have this effect and the disciples didn't always get it right away. But when they did get it the lesson took root and then they went on fortified with this knowledge to accomplish God's will.
During Holy Week services many of the Old Testament lessons pointed at the fulfillment of the prophesies in the events of the Passion of our Lord. On Good Friday during the litugy Psalm 22 for me was the most vivid as it details the crucifixion so well. Verse 16 "...and gangs of evil doers circle around me, they pierce my hands and my feet." Then verse 15..."my mouth is dried like a pot-sherd" pointing to our Savior crying out on the cross "I thirst". The first verse of this psalm is His last words, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"
It was all foretold and those present at the crucifixion acknowledged this saying "truly this was the Son of God".
I connected these references and thought to myself not only were the prophesies fulfilled, but thereafter the entire world would be changed by these events. It came to mind that even the calendar, which the entire world is run by is based on the life of our dear Savior! After all it was set into use by Pope Gregory, hence it's name, the "Gregorian Calendar". What a testimony that Jesus Christ is Lord!

5 comments:

  1. Good morning, Joshua. I like your sidebar quote. It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you dear Grandmere Mimi! I have felt this urge to begin blogging for some time now. Thank you for introducing me, I really appreciate it!! May God bless and keep you! I love the icon of the Blessed Virgin Mary on your side bar as well as the quote from Bishop Harris about half ass baptized....how true and appropriate in these times! God love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joshua,

    Glad to see you in the blogscape and welcome to TEC. Having made a very similar journey, myself, welcome home!

    Finally figured out how to post (and yes, it was embarrassingly simple once I figured it out).

    God bless and keep you and may you have a blessed Bright Week! ("Bright Week" is what the first week of Easter/Pascha is called by Eastern Christians ~ for those who may not be aware.)

    Indeed He is Risen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joshua, the icon belongs to me, and it's even more beautiful face to face. A friend wrote it for me, and it stands in a place of honor in my house.

    I'm glad to see that you and my friend John have met, virtually speaking.

    ReplyDelete
  5. PS: It's nice to see what you look like. You and your companion are both quite good looking.

    I posted about Emmaus today, too.

    ReplyDelete