Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Thoughts on Psalm 42

The Psalms are such timeless hymns of praise and also prophesies, lamentations, stories, prayers, but most of all a prose of man's love affair with God. The ups and downs, the pleas and thanksgivings. Out of all the prophets, apostles. matristic/patristic writings, I personally relate best to the psalms and David. I relate to his sin, his fears, his vulnerability, his love for God and his humanity. When I was a monk we would recite the entire Book of Psalms during the course of a week in the daily cycle of prayers. This causes them to penetrate and take root in the heart after awhile. Perhaps this was monasticism's greatest gift to this sinful soul.
Today I woke up to Psalm 42 in my heart, in particular verses 1 and 2...
"Like a deer longs for the water-brooks,* so longs my soul for you, O God.
As I sat in St Martin's Chapel at the Cathedral waiting for Mass to begin, yearning to feel our Savior in the breaking of bread. How we long for God!
"My soul is athirst for God, athirst for the living God, * when shall I come to appear before the presence of God?
Here I was....awaiting with my sisters and brothers, I felt so close to each one of them it was difficult to discern to any seperation, we were one body, one spirit, together longing to taste and see the one precious and living God!
"I pour out my soul when I think of these things: * how I went with the multitude and led them into the house of God"
Thank you God for this experience and these dear and beloved parts of you I shared communion with today. Keep them and bless them always. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment